Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Music Memoirs: Intro to the Beatles Binge and Notes on Please Please Me

            So after needing to really start finals' studying because I had not done anything all day and it was now 1:30 am, i decided to download the Across the Universe soundtrack to listen to while i read abnormal psychology. After listening to this whole album through, i decided to go full out and get the whole Beatles Original Discography. 
           After doing this, I thought, "Well, i never have really sat there and just listened through Beatles stuff. I know a lot of songs but i dont really KNOW the Beatles." I grew up with them so they were around in my head, but i didnt grow up with them when they were big, that was my parents time. My bands that Ive followed and lived with are ones like Dave Matthews Band, Avenged Sevenfold, and even some various top 40s people that do to mass broadcasting i end up hearing, getting into, and being knowledgable on their music. Oh and Glee. 
           So then I decided to embark on a journey to listen to all the Beatles albums in chronological order. So i put on a visualizer and put the first album, Please Please Me, on. I listened to it fully through. (At some point i even turned off the visualizer and just listened with my eyes closed, but i did hear the whole album; i did not fall asleep.) After i jotted down these notes:

Please Please Me: 1963
- can easily see movement around 4th...new sound
- very "garage band of friends" sound
           - personal
              - kinda feels like the neighborhood kids in a garage playing around
                - its a fun sound
           - unique (even though this becomes the new standard)
- even without accompaniment like we are used to nowadays which makes a very full sound, there seems to be alot going on (even at this point before they got into all their crazy stuff)
          - several harmonic voices
          - a full band set with very distinctive instruments
          - not over filled, notes hold for longer instead of just being constantly replayed

           So now here is the plan. Im going to continue to do this when I have a chance. Sit down, become aloft, put on a Beatles album, and simply listen to it through. Afterwards, i will write down simple outlined notes, as i did above, and later, once Ive listened through everything, I will look over my notes, ruminate on my memories and write out a nice little paper on my thoughts on the Beatles as a whole. 
           Lets see if i can do this. 

(Because if i can, that will be freaking sweet. Like, after the removable of any trace of loftness, i could publish this paper or use it for something. Whos knows? Either way it will be really cool to have.)

No comments:

Post a Comment